Sometimes, you may want to make sure your Galaxy S5 does not make any sounds. But sometimes, you may want the galaxy S5 to stop announcing the incoming calls or messages.
This guide will show you how to silence Galaxy S5. Of course, it implies how to unsilence your Galaxy S5 as well.
How to silence Galaxy S5? And how to use the sound, vibrate and mute modes?
Basically, for the sound, Galaxy S5 has 3 modes:
- Sound. This is the default mode. In this mode, your Galaxy S5 will give audio alerts normally. You can change the volume and notification/ringtones.
- Vibrate. Under this mode, Galaxy S5 vibrates instead of making other sounds. You can adjust the vibration pattern and intensity. This essentially silence Galaxy S5 if you put the phone in your pocket. But if you put your phone on a table, the vibration itself may still make considerable noise. So, it may not silence Galaxy S5 completely.
- Silent (mute). Silent (mute)model will silence Galaxy S5 completely.
There are many ways to access the sound settings to silence Galaxy S5 (or unsilence Galaxy S5).
- Go to Settings–Sound-Sound mode (as shown below) to select one mode.
- Press and hold the power key until device options pop out (as shown below) to select on mode.
- Swipe down from the stats bar (top of the screen) with one finger in the top of notifications (as shown below). Tap the button to toggle among sound, vibrate and mute modes.
- Swipe down from the stats bar (top of the screen) with two fingers in the Quick Settings (as shown below). Tap the button to toggle among sound, vibrate and mute modes.
- Press and hold volume down key to enter vibrate mode to silent Galaxy S5.
- When in vibrate mode, press volume up key once (or more times), to enter normal sound mode (and exit vibrate mode).
How to silence Galaxy S5 camera?
The shutter sound of a camera can be annoying sometimes, especially when in a quite environment (e.g., classroom). To silence Galaxy S5 camera, you can simply enter vibrate or mute mode. The camera will not make any sound then.
How to stop S5 from announcing incoming calls and messages?
Occasionally, some Galaxy S5 owners turned on voice notification (voice announcing the incoming calls and messages). But when you find it is annoying, you may not find how to disable it.
Of course, you can silence Galaxy S5 (vibrate mode or mute mode) to disable the voice announcements. But most of the time, you may just want to disable the voice announcement and keep ringtones and keep other notification tones.
In Galaxy S5, voice announcement can be set up in different locations. This means you need check all of these settings to turn all of them off to disable voice announcement. As a comparison, to enable voice announcement, you only need turn one of them on.
Here are the settings that may affect voice announcement for incoming calls and messages:
- Settings–Language & input–Notification readout (as shown below). This setting is for voice announcement for notification of incoming calls, messages and emails.
- Settings–Sound–Call (under Applications category)–Answering and ending calls–Using voice commands (as shown below). This setting is for incoming calls only.
- In Phone app, menu (3 vertical dots)–Settings–call settings–Answering and ending calls–Using voice commands. This setting will sync with that in 2.
- In Settings– Accessibility– Vision–TalkBack (as shown below). The TalkBack is an accessibility utility for owners with some visual difficulties. Once enabled (and configures), it may read almost everything on the screen, including all notifications.
- Car mode (or hands-free mode in some regions) under Quick settings as shown below.
How to silence your Galaxy S5 keyboard?
By default, the Samsung keyboard also make sound (and vibrate) when the key is tapped.
You can disable the tapping sound or vibrate feedback at Settings–Sound as shown below.
Same settings can be accessed from keyboard settings (Settings–language & input–Samsung Keyboard. Please the settings in these two panels are synced automatically. You only need set it in one location.
For more details on using Samsung Galaxy S5, you may check this guide.
How to use Galaxy S5 blocking mode to silence Galaxy S5?
Blocking mode can reject calls based on rules (timing, caller) you set. It can also block the notifications. Some Galaxy S5 owners like this method to silence Galaxy S5 when sleeping or in a meeting.
To enable and setup blocking mode, go to Settings–Blocking mode as shown below. Drag the switch to right to enable it. Once blocking mode is enabled, you can choose:
- what to block: incoming calls, notifications alarm and timer
- when to block: you need set the timing to effectively use this feature. Outside of this period, blocking mode will not take effect.
- who to unblock (exceptions): you can set some important contacts as exceptions. They can ring you or message normally. You will receive notifications from them as well.
Do you have any questions to silence Galaxy S5?
Please let us know your questions or problems on how to silence Galaxy S5, how to silence galaxy S5 camera and using blocking mode.
More how-to guides , tips and tricks for using Samsung Galaxy S5 are available at Samsung Galaxy S5 how-to guides page.