So, all Galaxy S5 rumors settled down.
Samsung Galaxy S5 did not bring much surprise to us. It is an incremental update for the almost-one-year-old Galaxy S4.
Apparently, Samsung learnt from the failures of Galaxy S4. Galaxy S5 is their attempt to go back to basics. Galaxy S5 does not pack so many fancy features, but just a few very practical features. Of course, apparently, all features are tested well, not half-baked as in Galaxy S4.
Quick overview of Galaxy S5 specifications
Here is the specification sheet of Samsung Galaxy S5:
- Display: 5.1″ full HD (1920*1080) AMOLED (not rumored 2K display)
- CPU: Snapdragon 801 Quadcore at 2.5GHz; Exynos variants in some regions for 3G models.
- GPU: Adreno 330 with maximum GPU frequency of 578MHz
- RAM: 2GB (not rumored 3GB)
- Storage: 16GB/32GB
- OS: Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)
- Battery: 2800mAh, removeable
- Rear camera: 16MP censor with phase detection autofocus
- Front camera: 2MP
- Fingerprint scanner
- Color options: black, white, blue and gold
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, MIMO(2×2), DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot
- USB: USB 3.0
- Bluetooth 4.0, ANT+, NFC, and IR Remote
- Dimension: 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1mm
- Weight: 145g
- IP67 certified – dust and water resistant
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Sensors: proximity, compass, barometer,RGB ambient light, gesture, accelerometer, gyro, heart rate sensor
Galaxy S5 specifications: top 5 goodies
Latest hardware and software, as expected
Samsung always puts the latest hardware in Galaxy S flagship phones. Galaxy S5 is not an exception. The Galaxy S5 specifications clearly state this is 2014 smartphone.
Galaxy S5 is the first smartphone that comes with Snapdragon 801,which is a performance upgrade to Snapdragon 800. The 2.5GHz quadc0re processor should provide sufficient (actually more than sufficient) processing power for Galaxy S5. The upgraded Adreno 330 GPU can achieve 578MHz. This makes it possible for Galaxy S5 to get higher quality imaging, utilize faster camera sensors and improve photo post-processing.
The 5.1″ full HD AMOLED display is one of the best screens you can get for a smartphone. Even for AMOLED haters, it is hard to deny AMOLED is very comfortable to watch on a smartphone screen.
Galaxy S5 will come with Android 4.4.2 (KitKat), the latest version of Android. This is not a surprise to anyone.
Fingerprint scanner in Galaxy S5 is not a surprise after iPhone got it last year.
It is not half-baked (as features in Galaxy S4). The promised integration with PayPal makes this feature extremely useful.
It seems Samsung finally understands the specification sheet does not need to be long.